Sunday, April 12, 2009

What You Think Is What You See


Questions
Answer each question in 3-5 sentences.

1. If the maps around you showed the existence of the Northwest Passage, would you believe it? Why?

I will believe it because people don't know if the Northwest Passage has gone. They just can't find it on the map so that it is possible that the Northwest Passage is still existing. Though there has been uncounted people working on it, we can't make sure that the Northwest Passage is disappeared.

2. If you were John Cabot and someone told you the Northwest Passage didn't exist. What would you say? What would you feel? How would you react?

Oh! That's great! I can go to explore in another way. There is a new passage to use. I feel so excited that I can explore for my country's development in another way. I will start my new exploration by using the Northwest Passage.

3. Find a map by Humphrey Gilbert from 1582. What do you see in the picture? Explain.

http://www.civilization.ca/cmc/exhibitions/hist/frobisher/frsub02e.shtml


This is a picture of the map by Humphrey Gilbert. It is strange to me because I have never seen it. In the picture, there is a shape of a ship. There are many islands and oceans in the picture. It looks askew and doesn't look like real earth. America and China are very close in this picture of the earth. That's impossible.



4. Why did the Northwest Passage suit the goals (agenda) of the European explorers and monarchs?

Because it is a approach to find Asia. Asia is a good place for explorers, because it is strange and new to people. They all looked forward for it. They can find it and communicate with different people. They could exchange their cultures and did some economic trades. Monarchs would be glad because they can expand their areas and made their countries more and more bigger. Asia has lots of riches so that they could find them to develop their countries.

5.Feedback loops help us to see reality as a system. Can you think of an example of a feedback loop from your own life? Look at page 225 of your textbook to help you.
In my life ,there is a feedback loop about eating food and spending energy. People all need to eat food because we need to get energy from them. I eat food everyday and get more energy from food. Food can provide energy, protein and calcium to me. I can have energy to go to school, study and play with friends.Then, when I spend my most energy, I need to eat food to get energy. So, this is a feedback loop in my life.
6. What did you learn so far about explorers and the colonization of Canada?

I have learned some great explorers who did some great deeds, such as John Cabot and Jacques Cartier. They both went to find Asia, but they didn't find it. Though they failed, but they found other new matters. So, they also did great acts in history. Europeans got success to be strong so that they became colonizers.

1 comment:

  1. 12/12

    Excellent! Thank you for being such an excellent student! You inspire me to keep on teaching! :P

    I love the way you think about the questions. Keep it up!!!!!

    ReplyDelete